Comfort Food – Level: The oldest, softest pajama pants you own
The weather outside is frightful,
but the kitchen smells so delightful
and since we’ve no place to go
let it boil, let it boil, let it boil…
1 onion (size of a tennis ball)
2 table spoons of olive oil
2 tea spoons of tomato paste
2 cans of beans (pinto beans are the best, red kidney beans will do)
2 fistfuls of pasta
smoked sausage (250 g/10oz)
smoked pork neck (100 g/4oz)
salt (to taste)
You want to have:
smoked paprika – half a teaspoon
1 bay leaf
How to make it:
1) Turn on some good music
2) Fry the chopped onion, salt, paprika and tomato paste until soft
3) Add the sliced sausage and let it fry before you add 1 liter of water (4 cups)
4) Add the bay leaf and smoked pork
5) Bring to boil and let it simmer with a lid on for 30 min
6) Every once in a while come by, pick up the lid and loudly announce: “Mmmmm, this smells soooo goood, doesn’t it smell good?” Make sure that everyone around you agrees!
7) After 30 min, add beans and let it simmer for additional 15 minutes (lid on)
8) Add the pasta and cook it according to the instructions on the box (lid on)
9) Serve and enjoy the compliments!
Why should you make this:
– It is cheap ($5 for 4 plates), but extraordinarily rich in flavor.
– It needs only 15 minutes of your attention (steps 2 and 3).
Modifications to the recipe:
– You can skip steps 1 and 6, but why would you?